PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carry-on Luggage
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2005, 12:36
batninth
Oh Shazbat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ascil
If you think that thats bad, what do you think about online ckin and printing off your boarding cards from the comfort of your living room!!
Well.....I think that the Dublin setup is very good - firstly the computerised check-in is as idiot proof as they can make it. Even I got it to work first time without having to stop and think about it. Then the "Tag & Drop" desk or whatever it's called. I had walked into Dublin Airport, looked at the check-in queues, and then used that system to go through in the time it took for the ckin queue to go down by two. That's why I think it's neat - and maybe how to get 800 pax onto an A380

As for Web based ckin - well I can see that I print my boarding pass at home, then get stuck in traffic on the way to the airport...seeing as how I felt I could have an extra 30mins in bed rather than queue. And now the flight is half full as we're all sat in a traffic jam with our home printed boarding cards - and there's a load of disgruntled standby pax all watching the plane getting ready take off with empty but allocated seats.

Warning - getting on soapbox: I suspect that someone, somewhere thought "Oh let's put this on the web - it'll save money"....and then everyone is following suit for competitive reasons. I wish folks would look at what works well on the Internet and what doesn't instead of thinking that putting it up on the web automatically brings down cost.

One question in my mind - could I, if I wanted to do something amiss, use a Boarding Card that I had printed in my living room to mock up more and then get through security and ....