PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold War V-Force
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2005, 08:55
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First British H Bomb

First Penetration of Nuclear Cloud by a Canberra Aircraft Near the Pacific Christmas Island

Extract from Memoirs by Wg Cdr George Bates.

My crews and I had our final briefings at Joint Operations Centre and then moved down to our aircraft dispersal and squadron office. A dramatic moment occurred when the Valiant, piloted by the 49 Squadron C.O. Ken Hubbard, rolled along the runway gathering speed with its lethal load on board. We all watched with relief as it climbed away in the morning sunlight, gleaming white in its anti-glare livery.

In contrast 76 Squadron sampling aircraft stood in dispersal covered in a greenish water based barrier paint. This coat of paint had been put on a couple of days earlier, and was designed to be easily washed off, allowing the inevitable heavy radiation contamination to be minimised after exposure in the nuclear cloud. It was approaching midmorning and we were close to being ordered to take off for Malden Island, 400 miles to the South and across the Equator. So close to the Equator was Christmas Isle that we crossed it nearly every time we flew. Because of the need to get to 50,000’ plus, and could only do so by carrying minimum fuel we were not due to take-off until the H-Bomb had been successfully dropped. We listened out on the Operational Frequency and heard the Valiant flying its pattern and reporting at various points. It carried out a practice run and then declared the next run to be a live drop. Clearance was given to Ken Hubbard from the Task Force Commander in the Operations Room on H.M.S. Warrior to go ahead. The dramatic countdown came over the air and then the vital call - "Bomb Gone". The Valiant then carried out a tight turn in an escape manoeuvre to clear the aircraft from suffering heat or blast damage as the weapon detonated.

By this time, after a period of a "dry mouth" wait I was airborne, followed by Barry Newton, en route to the Ground Zero Area, where the drop would occur. We heard it all as we climbed up. Our call signs had been changed from the normal, somewhat humorously, the Controller was "Sniff Boss", I was "Sniff One" and Barry Newton "Sniff Two", apt names for Samplers. I reported into Air Commodore Wilson as Sniff Boss and continued my climb. Fortunately, the Tropopause was at 54,000 feet and I did not anticipate any problem reaching that altitude. On reaching the area I flew into our predetermined racetrack, viewing the awesome spectacle of the huge anvil nuclear cloud levelled out at the Tropopause. I received the go-ahead to do the first penetration. It was a tense moment, not much time to reflect on all the dangers mentioned earlier. Into the cloud we flew and fortunately, little turbulence was experienced and no danger to the canopy from heat change. Immediate relief was felt as our worst fears diminished. My crew started to report Radiation Readings on the special instruments, also opening up the Sampling equipment on entry.

It was eerie in the cloud and the main difference from ordinary cloud was that inside it was multicoloured. pale purples, yellows mixed with whites. I steered for the stronger coloured parts where I figured the best samples would be obtained, of matter and gas. We reported radiation readings as Romeo, the dose rate registered and Charlie giving the Cumulative Dose. The rates permitted me to do a further two runs and then the Controller instructed me to finish sampling and return to base. It was with relief and happiness that we immediately set-off to return to Christmas Island as fast as possible. From such a height we were able to make a swift and gradual descent and land. We were cleared to land and taxi to a special Decontamination Area, where a specially trained team in heavy protective clothing marshalled us in. A short wait whilst they monitored the aircraft with their Geiger Counters to establish Radiation Levels, and then we were cleared to leave the aircraft. I opened the clear vision window and the Navigator opened the escape door. To avoid us picking up further radiation from the outside of the aircraft as we climbed out, they covered the exit and steps with PVC sheets. We moved away and watched the Scientific Team removing the Filters and Gas Tank, to be despatched post haste to UK for analysis by Canberras positioned en route in relay.

As we entered the Decontamination Centre we were constantly monitored. All our clothing was removed as it was radioactive and we showered until declared clear. It was in the hair that the worst occurred, but, it was not dangerous radiation only Beta ray contamination which could be washed off. I had to shower six times before declared clear to leave. Well, at last, after all the waiting it was over and we felt great at such success. After debriefing, a feeling of anticlimax and a wait for the other crews to return safely. The whole operation had been a triumph of planning and execution. Everyone involved was on cloud nine, as we all wound down and savoured success. We wondered what would be the reaction at home when the news broke, and our thoughts turned to our families and loved ones, 12,000 miles away.