PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skills shortage?
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2000, 09:26
mriya225

Wink

It's sad, but I think you're right Blacksheep. I envy some of these guys (ie. Penn_Doff, redtail, reracker, unwrapping..., etc.) they definitely have an advantage where this impending shortage is concerned. Obviously they'll be the first to have their wages brought more in line with their level of skills and knowledge, but what I really envy is their experience and the confidence that results.
You all have a superior method of obtaining your certification (in my humble opinion). In the states, we enter the work force pretty seriously unprepared unless you've done similar work in the armed forces. Seven of the most experienced mechanics I know are leaving the field (two retiring and the other five making a late in life career switch).
My fear is, where does that leave those of us who're conscientious but lack the experience? I keep imagining it will be like the blind leading the blind. Regulators can be enormously cumbersome, but in the case of those of us in the U.S.--I think their intervention may be wise.

------------------
Un diva très doué.