PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF AT fleet, cx this out!
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2005, 06:01
Whipping Boy's SATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only bad experience of movers was when deployed with only 14 hrs notice. The deal was to get 10 bodies and 4 L/R Trailer combinations to Lyenham via South Cerney. We packed and lauched to South Cerney. On arrival, the RLC chaps emptied our vehicles and made us unwrap the batteries that were were so used to wrapping for AT flights (apparantly the AP had been changed such that batteries no longer had to be wrapped). They confiscated our heaters (kerosene fumes) and sent us on our way. On arrival at Lyenham, the RAF movers unpacked our vehicle, made us wrap our batteries (just in case) and loaned us a couple of smelly kerosene heaters.

Not exactly joined-up processing of pax.

PS. My funniest experience was on return six months later when the RAF Plod made me put my rifle through the x-ray machine; what was all that about?

PPS. I almost forgot. The enforced breakfast (no matter what time) at Lyneham Airmen's Mess, complete with a stroppy, red armband wearing youngster telling us that we had only 15 minutes to eat. I suggested he learnt his military rank structure.