PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Resignations
Thread: EK Resignations
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2005, 04:23
typhoonpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR Rain:

I don't know why I bother replying, you just don't seem to get it even when presented with facts. The market in the United States was horrible post 9-11. 10,000 pilots were furloughed from the major airlines. The vast majority of jobs they could get were at the regional airlines for $45,000 per year to start ( as captain ) or Netjets for $27,000 per year to start as an F.O. Some of the bigger airlines were hiring but not in big numbers.

Since you bring up both Delta and Southwest I will mention them. A long time ago in my first commuter airline interview the question was asked, " where do you see youself in three years ". My answer was, " as a pilot for Delta Airlines ". For a period of about 7 years I continually applied and tried to find a way into Delta. Not having been a Naval Aviator or having flown the Space Shuttle ( or perhaps because I'm from California ) they have never called me for an interview. So just because you WANT to work somewhere doesn't mean you CAN work somewhere. Southwest is slightly different. Southwest requires a pilot to have a 737 type rating before being hired. How you get it is up to you. I live my career by a code that I will never pay for my own training. Southwest wasn't an option until I could get a 737 type rating for free. I do, in fact, have one now and Southwest did call me for an interview last year. I sat down and figured out the plusses and minuses and came to the realization that I would rather be here than go to Southwest. Monetarily over 20 years the jobs come out equal. Career satisfaction wise, Emirates comes out way ahead.

The point about how much a Delta or United 777 Captain makes is moot. Even if they were hiring, guys our age would never see the left seat of any of their airplanes if hired today.

Again, I'll tell you that envy isn't very becoming. You can envy a Delta or United 777 Captain all you want, but you nor I will ever see that position so why even bring it up ?

Just because you are not making as much as you did back home don't take it out on someone who questions you.
I make a lot more than I would of back home, that is the point I am trying to get across to you.

TP