PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chief of the Airforce : "My Force is run down"
Old 26th Apr 2005, 19:10
BAKELA
Registered User *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eischhh!!!

Either the Daily Garbage has got it wrong again...looks like it as there's nothing new but for the Dak's wing (not Crosseying my words here am I?) or the copy and paste did not work too well. Typical press crap! Got the jist of it though. SAAF in st! BIG TIME!

Porra,
pulled up to 7000' and told ATC that he was lost and needed help...
Being at (or around) Lichtenburg that makes sense...get up a bit higher! Been there myself... at FL110, unknowingly at Lichtenburg en route FAUP-FALA...at 9 PM local with 8/8's CB's (for 40 miles), St.Elmo's fire dancing on the prop and the windshield, climb rate 1200ft/min with throttle closed and carb heat on in a single piston with no transponder, no VOR, no DME, no WX radar (obviously for the SAAF in the mid 80's) only ONE VHF and ONE ADF (which was useless) and very little fuel (about 35 mins). Flew the classic triangle and after 8 minutes were told by JHB Radar that they had me positive and gave me a steer for FALA!

"Friendly" Jo'burg ATC barked something about no radar contact till 9000'
Maybe PUPE had attitude problem? Won't be surprised if he had! Dogs only bark if they are barked at or fed around! From the rest of the posts on this forum I doubt whether the girls/guys on duty have a problem even though the bigshots at ATNS might have...

and you know the rest...
Yep! Sad but we do. Not the last I s'pose we'll read something like this.