PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 26th Apr 2005, 02:12
fernytickles

Life's too short for ironing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an ex-146 pilot, and small contributor to the research that has been ongoing, I hope that a solution is found, especially for those who have lost their licences and careers.

After only 2 years of flying the aircraft, I suffered, in comparison to others, minimal negative effects, but there is no doubt my symptoms were related to the time I spent flying the aircraft. At no time before or since have I had the same problems. I am (relatively) young and healthy and lead a pretty harmless lifestyle - no smoking etc.

I knew nothing, at that time, of the problems others had experienced, and only put two and two together after I had stopped flying the 146, my problems faded away and I came across some documentation, either in The Log or on here.

So, Croqueteer, as a 17 year veteran of flying the 146, I guess you are one of the many fortunate people who have enjoyed a good career flying this aircraft. From what I've read, the problems, which vary from mild to severe, seem to be selective, not affecting everyone, kind of like the ever elusive Gulf War Syndrome, or the effects of organophosphates on farmers. No one else that I worked with complained of any problems, but then, neither did I complain - I just thought I was getting old or something. I ended up in hospital having assorted tests and things stuck in places where they ought'n't to be stuck Nothing was ever found, and now, four years since I stopped flying the 146, I'm fine. Go figure... I'm not a person who suffers from, or enjoys, ill health, something must have caused me to be ill, and if the research helps prevent others suffering the way some people have suffered (I can't imagine what it must be like to be told that due to health problems, you can never fly again), then so much the better.

ps - I'm not Australian, have never been there, nor as far as I'm aware, ever flown an Australian aircraft, so I'm not quite sure what the quip regarding AOPIS's nationality was referring too.

Last edited by fernytickles; 26th Apr 2005 at 02:41.