PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BCUC BA (Hons) Air Transport with Commercial Pilot Training
Old 25th Apr 2005, 23:53
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[This may sound harsh, but I am trying to get you to question your decision to go more than I did my decision to take a degree, so don't take it to heart. It might be that you are already, but you have more to lose than I did, since they invented top-up fees!]

My question would be "why?"

I cannot see any real relevance in the "Air Transport" section, except perhaps a small relevance if you would like airline management to be your fall back in the case of a lost medical. However I would suggeast the most likely reason for not having a flying job but having a licence is a downturn in the industry, when this degree will be as useful as a handbrake on a canoe.

I would also suggest that most management positions that require a degree require just that: a degree. Even positions in the business. The only reason for asking for a relevant degree is for a manager of a very technical industry, which airlines are not in the areas this would cover.

Is this degree a well-respected course in its own right, a course at a good university (Buckinghamshire Chilterns?) with high entry standards and a high academic quality, a proper degree course rather than an extended, thorough diploma? If not it's probably a waste of time; more and more students are concerned about jobs, recent studies have shown, and rightly so; there are fewer graduate jobs than graduates due to government policy.

If you want a degree and can get into a respected university, a traditional one, a red brick or a top-end former poly on a respected course then go for that instead. If you can't, or don't want to do any of the courses offered in them then do the ATPLs independently and do something useful, productive and preferably lucrative with the time saved. You can learn more relevant skills and make more good contacts with the right job in the industry, even at entry level, than in a degree.