PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Upset Training - For or Against.
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2005, 23:21
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Must say I am personally delighted at all the replies so far. My posts invariably result in a storm of derision.

Next subject is the practice at GPWS recoveries in the simulator. This is another sequence rarely encountered in simulator training. I am talking about running into the glass mountain scenario rather than a sink rate sink rate, glide slope glide slope event.

In my view it is a vital part of simulator training to get the GPWS manoeuvre perfect. This includes from a high speed descent with speed brake extended where the sequence of pull up while simultaneously firewalling the thrust levers, is followed lastly by retracting the speed brakes.

You may recall that the speed brakes (in the 737 at least) do not retract automatically in this type of escape manoeuvre whereas they do retract automtically in a rejected landing. A 757 was lost when the crew forgot to retract the speed brakes and although the manoeuvre was executed in very quick time, the aircraft hit the mountain just a few feet from the summit.

I have seen surprised delays when the GPWS goes off during IMC descents and the simulator took the tops of hills because of these delays. GPWS manoeuvers, like unusual attitude recovery practice, is often seen as a fun game thing, rather than serious instruction.