PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - O'Leary going to Jail?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2005, 21:43
ou Trek dronkie

atse,

You make a good post. All I know about FR is 2nd hand, sounds like you have some hands-on experience.

I know nothing at all about Ryanair courtroom steps settlements, but are these not usually a result of a person toughing it out against the heavies ? And coming right in the end ? True, I have been there, but that has nothing at all to do with my post.

My life experience is that expediency is usually the name of the game in legal matters. The reluctance to rock the boat, the reluctance to support the whistle-blower, the way someone who stands up against injustice is often deserted by his or her friends (check the EC fraud history for example). The name Tony Blair springs readily to mind. Remember the ANZ DC 10 flying into Mt Erebus in Antartica ?

So maybe that is what you refer to ? On the ball man.

Yet I have no facts in this matter, just what I read and my own prejudice.

Nevertheless, if he is found guilty – and I hope he is : if indeed he is guilty, then, I am sure he will not go to serve time. His lawyers will be far too smart for that. If he is innocent, of course I hope he goes free.

Probably they are on a no-win-no-fee basis anyway, if Ryanair commercial practices are also in force. I wonder if they charge for coffee ?

Thanks for you comments, illuminating.

Well Bill,

If he were knocked down, that is entirely different. By the way, I wish the man no personal harm.

No, what I meant to say is that, if he were to be found guilty, the most likely argument his lawyers would offer – this is a legal opinion (there will be others) – is that the public interest would not be served by committing him to prison. The effect on jobs, loss of confidence etc. It could swing it for him you know. His airline brings a lot of € to Ireland.

I remember the case of the footballer (forget his name) who attacked someone on an aircraft and got a community sentence ? He should have been sent down, so I believe, but he has the eye and ear of the public. A slap on the wrist. That does seem to me to be the tendency, not to send people to jail, but to “re-habilitate” them.

Lets face it. Many people idolise this person, they think he is wonderful. Now, if I had my way, I would h*** d*** and q****** him, but then, I come from another planet.

Sure, no-one is dispensable, but some people are more important than others.

I don’t think I said that “any employees at FR are worthless”. That would be wicked. I can easily understand the pressures they work under, believe me.

Like you, I am not anything like a lawyer and I believe I have a little common sense. But that is not the law. The Law is an ass, said someone.

oTd