PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new pay deal from Flybe
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2005, 17:53
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, OK but only because you asked so politely...

Sack all of ops/crewing and start again? No... didn't think so.
Nope. If you read what I wrote, you will see that I don't believe the people on the end of the phones are the problem. It is a resourcing problem.

So...

1) Actively implement the oft-stated company line that "our staff are our greatest asset".

2) Whilst doing the above, recognise that crews are not a commodity to be shipped from one base to the next, with no regard for their personal circumstances.

3) recognise also that crews are not owned by the company, and a have a legitimate right to a life once their obligations to the company are satisfied (ie get them home).

4) Equip Crewing with sufficient personnel and equipment to do the job with as little stress as possible. In other words, the staff in Crewing should benefit from 1) above.

5) Employ sufficient pilots to allow a proper standby capability.

6) Outlaw forever, the following:

-long positioning trips prior to a duty (six hours in a rental car, prior to a 4 sector duty, is my personal record).
-requiring crews to position from the airport to the hotel via public transport (as was the case in Paris)
-the use of poor quality or unsuitable hotels (the one in NCL being a prime example)
-forcing cabin crew to drive rental cars (happened frequently when they used to position from EDI to NCL) - not supposed to happen, but it did.
-keeping crew members away from home base for six days at a time (happened to me on more than one occasion - not rostered either)
-closing bases with no consideration given to the crew members at that base

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

I might add that over the years, I have had few problems with Crewing, but I have had to go in to bat for quite a few people who have been very badly treated by them (mostly cabin crew).

On the subject of respect, yes it is earned - however, flybe captains are on salaries equivalent to senior managers, and the company considers them to hold that status. They are therefore due a certain amount of respect by right. How they are viewed by Crewing is in the hands of each crew member, and only a fool antagonises a crewing controller without having a very good reason.

Sadly, there have been a lot of good reasons over the last few years...