PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hereditary Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Old 25th Apr 2005, 13:54
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hereditary Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)

Does anybody have any experience with this genetic disorder? Recently diagnosed. Ultimately if untreated it causes cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes and possible cardiac problems. If caught in time the treatments return iron levels to normal with normal life expectancy and a return to normal function of the liver, heart and pancreas.

The treatment involves weekly phlebotomies (bloodlettings of 500 cc) until iron levels are normal (3 months to three years depending on levels at diagnosis). Once levels are stabilized, maintenance phlebotomies are needed for life (at approx. 3 month intervals) however the latter can be done by simply registering as a blood donor and giving blood every quarter. Reduction in iron intake is also advised and certain foods need to be avoided.

I'm currently a 500 hour PPL with a Canadian Class 3 medical. I have no plans for an aviation career but certainly would like to keep the Class 3 so I can continue putt-putting around the sky in my Beechcraft. Does anyone know if this condition can cause a Class 3 medical to be permanently revoked?

I know that one should not fly within a couple of days of a blood donation. I would hope that would be the only restriction assuming that cardiac, pancreatic and liver functions are all in normal ranges.

Thanks.

Beechnut.