PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUB new terminal "DEBT doubts"
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2005, 13:28
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its Win Win all the waaaa.......ait a minute, Bertie's still in charge of the goverment, were screwed
Got it in one

The only hope is that Mary Harney give Bertie a handbagging, and makes it VERY clear that things HAVE to change, and HAVE to be done in a way that throws out for ever the old protectionist attitudes that SIPTU and DAA are desperate to maintain.

I've seen it in action first hand, it's incredible just how much they have been allowed to get away with for years. The ONLY solution is a fundamental change of strategy, and ideally management, as the previous model has been clearly shown over the last while to be fatally flawed.

The more I look at it, the more the (dream) idea of a brand new airport somewhere mid country, with modern fast rail links to the large towns, becomes increasingly appealing.

Imagine the benefits to the economy of the midlands, all that money being spent out there, then there would be the relocation of massive numbers of people out of Dublin, which would reduce the commute pressure, as well as the reduction in pressure on the entire infrastructure around the existiing airport. All the NIMBY's would be happy, the noise etc would go away, the Shannon stop issue would be solved overnight, the Cork weather would no longer be a problem, and there would just be an Ireland International Airport.

If a priest could get an airport built in the middle of the bogs of Mayo, then maybe this isn't quite so mad as it sounds........... It's a dream, but it has possibilities. Given the mess that masquerades as an international airport at DUB, I do wonder..........................