PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sherburn ground incident (Now incl AAIB report)
Old 25th Apr 2005, 12:01
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

As someone with firsthand experience of a company (FW in this case) that had/has a history of non-reporting reportable events I have to say I have some sympathy with lartsa's remarks.

I am not sure that it is a matter just between you and the company if they fail to report when required to do so, and being a Professional in such a company puts you in an almost impossible situation. You know what is going on is wrong - a criminal offence - and likely to have serious safety implications too but cannot communicate your concerns to your employer or you'll be marked a troublemaker. You may fear to tell the CAA for the same reason. In my case I did go to the CAA who told me that the info I had was "only hearsay" and they could not act upon it inless I was willing to appear in court as prosecution witness against my employer - a sure career stopper.

I can well understand that someone in a similar position might choose to make such remarks in a public place such as this in an effort to raise awareness, perhaps with the CAA, that something is amiss and they might like to investigate further.

I din't know if this is the "right" way to go about it, but I do sympathise - providing, of course that he is entirely honest about the events and also his own motives.