PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - pre landing checklists
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2005, 11:30
thereceiver2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pre landing checklists

hi all

Our CFI who has taken it upon himself to re-write the aeroplane checklists and add his own quirks and checks, now i know the danger of re-writing checklists so not dwell on that, but i just wondered peoples opinions of pre landing checks...

when i was taught to fly and friends of mine taugt to fly all the way through ppl to cpl/ir level all different schools, we all used the same pre landing checks

B U M F I C H H or variations around this theme.. why.. because it is easy to remember the nemonic.

however my cfi now has a pre landing checklist thus :

brakes
mixtures
engine Ts and Ps
carb heat on/off
hatches
harness
instruments
fuel

and as he is also the examiner he wants it taught this way from the checklist.. NOT BUMFICHH or any other nemonic BUT as above, all the students are saying they cannot remember these and i am inclined to agree, but the cfi says use the checklist for the checks, ok but getting the checklist out on the downwind part of the circuit, finding the page and then following it through in my humble opinion is not the safest way.

another check..

engine failure at altitude

fuel - on
MAYDAY CALL immediately
try to restart the engine
if no restart force land
give pax brief
electrics off

now i know depends on height but surely it would be best to

get best glide speed first and foremost
find a field to land and plan your circuit
try to restart the engine
if not then may day call
brief passengers
then SECURE the dead engine
then force land

being the examiner aswell it is known that if students go fro test using checklists other than line for line from the checklist they will fail. :-(

just wondered of peoples opionions, i know have a structured common way of teaching in a school will benefit all those learning, but not being open to suggestions and slight changes of the standards set in my opinion is wrong, even if the suggestions are stupid, they should at least be heard.

just my 5 mins of moaning..

Last edited by thereceiver2004; 27th Apr 2005 at 18:02.