PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Wages
Thread: BA Wages
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2005, 21:49
keeperboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed travel benefits to not form any part of our contract. But perhaps if BA were prepared to offer us a (much) better deal if might allow them to reduce monetary incentives to adopt new working practices. Our concessions are typical of BA. Thought up by someone sat in an office that suits someone sat in an office. I mean, how ridiculous that your cannot take your 'travel companion' of a flight that you are operating as they are not considered 'accompanied'.

As for BA's 'protected position' at LHR, what tosh! It is no more protected at LHR than LH is at FRA, IB is at MAD or AF is at CDG. In fact BA has less percentage of slots at LHR than LH, AF or IB do at their repective hubs. And none of those airlines have the likes of BMI or Virgin to compete with. I find it difficult to think of many routes at LHR that BA does not directly or indirectly compete with other carriers on. BA's results are more likely down to the hard work and consistent service that its 'protected position'.

Just check out the 'passenger opinion' pages at airlinequality.com to see what our passengers think of us.

A bidding system and mixed flying would definitely save BA money. Nearly every other airline in europe with a mixed long/shorthaul operation offers mixed flying. How can you think it does not save money? I am guessing you are NOT cabin crew and have pretty much no idea what you are talking about.

A scenario: BA is short of long-haul crew to operate a 767 flight to Tel Aviv. There are short-haul crew, sat at home on 'available' also trained on EXACTLY the same aircraft but cannot operate the flight, even though they are happy to do so. That person will stay at home and maybe not get called. The TLV might have to be cancelled. With mixed flying a scenario like that would not happen. Or on the flipside, BA is short of shorthaul crew to operate a 767 flight to Rome, but has longhaul 767 crew in the hotel on QRS (and volunteers to operate shorthaul flights). But as the system is now, BA has to use shorthaul crew on overtime and pay them £17 per hour plus allowences so the flight can operate.

As for a longhaul bidding system, sickness rates would be dramatically reduced if longhaul crew had some control over their mbt days (days off at base) and the odd preferred destination to fly to.

As for BA breaking our contracts they are indeed breaking European employment law. BASSA would immediately raise an industrial tribunal and BA would be found at fault. I could just picture it. 12,000 cabin crew would strike in a flash and indeed you are right, BA's profitable airline crown would indeed evaporate very quickly.

Perhaps a better place for Willie to start with his cost cutting is to get rid of Waterside offices, where no matter what time of day, the numerous 'coffee shops' in the lush water featured atrium seem to be full of office 'workers'. I mean BA is an 'airline'. What is essential to its operation is the pilots, cabin crew, check in staff, and ops staff. If I was at waterside I would be more worried about my pay and conditions that I am as cabin crew.

Last edited by keeperboy; 24th Apr 2005 at 22:05.