PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pinpoint the Bomber
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2005, 00:16
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Pinpoint the Bomber

This is absolutely fascinating; I've been given this by a friend who found it in her late father's effects. It is a book cum roleplaying game, written by Francis Chichester, and published in 1942.

I quote from the flyleaf Pinpoint the Bomber describes a new form of game and a large map of the territory from Kent to the Rhineland is provided. The player is given the necessary clues to his position and must tax his skills and ingenuity to deduce from them exactly where he is, in other words to "pinpoint" the bomber on the map.

To players who have no direct interest in flying, the test of their ability has all the fascination of a detective story or crossword puzzle.

At the same time, they will be thrilled to read of the difficulties besetting an air-navigator on an operational raid into Germany, by following the progress of the raid on a map exactly to the same scale as the maps used by our navigators when raiding Germany, and by studying actual air photographs of enemy territory.

Players who hope one day to become air navigators can learn more about the art and principles of map-reading from two hours with the game than from two hundred hours air experience if untrained"

How wonderfully politically incorrect ! Basically by following the various instructions, and taking decisions, you hopefully take off from RAF Manston, navigate your way across Europe, and bomb Koblenz.

I think that I should do something with this wonderful piece of "literature"; my initial thoughts are to scan it all in and post it either here or on a website somewhere? Thoughts anybody.

For that matter, has anybody else ever come across this.

G

Item 16. Heavy flack ! The pilot takes avoiding action, but you forget to record his changes in course. After 3 minutes you do not know where you are. But, with a luck you certainly don't deserve you see through a very small gap in the clouds the junction of a large river and a canal-river. This junction is at the North end of a town, the canal-river runs south west through the middle of it...

(Sounds rather like my qualifying cross country ).