PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new pay deal from Flybe
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2005, 13:43
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear I see I must spell out every word for the children amongst us...

Exactly what does this refer too?. Crewing and Ops are employed by an airline, the airline pays their wages. They are doing their job!
There are many, many ways that you can do your job. You can do it cheerfully and efficently. You can do it grumpily and wastefully. Sometimes, when you are under-resourced and under-staffed, you can simply take the route that removes the problem from you in the quickest possible time, with no thought at all for the consequences of those affected by your decision. When stuck between angry crews and insistent management, you may decide to take your revenge on a crew member who is making your life difficult.

The last two happen with boring regularity.

If you cannot understand how an employee can do their job in an adversarial way, you really shouldn't be flying airliners.

Your obvious attitude towards your Crewing colleagues clearly demonstrates your lack of knowledge as to the job they do
In actual fact, I have spent a lot of time observing crewing, partly as a result of being a part of Open Channel for a bit, when it investigated some issues a year or two back. I have also been involved in Ops delay meetings, and other formal and informal discussions on these matters.

on a somewhat massivley reduced salary than your own.
Oh do please grow up. They also have considerably less responsibility than I do, have not had to pass exams or flight tests to get their jobs, and have spent no money to get where they are. They also never get unscheduled nightstops, have their duties extended, or are required to spend weeks at a time in some scummy hotel.

Maybe if you were more sympathetic to the job Crewing do then you may endear yourself a little more!
If you had bothered to read my post properly, you would have seen that I attribute the problems in Crewing to two external factors; a management pushing for results, and a lack of resources. A visit to Crewing will reveal the archaic nature of the tools they use, and if you hang around long enough, you will probably see one of them being berated about something. The individuals on the phones (when you can get hold of them) are not always the problem - Crewing as a department is not just those people.

I have sat there for many hours and seen what goes on. It is not an easy job. However, that does not excuse some of the decisions that get made.

You may, if you have been around the company long enough (and you sound like a fresh new recruit to me), remember the months leading up to the departure of the terminally useless Jet FM. There were a few people being hauled to EXT for disciplinaries because they had become so frustrated with the situation, they simply refused to take any more. Some were very senior pilots who had never complained before, about anything, over many years service. When such people say "enough!", you have a serious structural problem.

It was no surprise to me that the Jet FM stepped down shortly thereafter.

Anyway, you are obviously happy as a clam, so I suggest you refuse your pay rise as a contribution to the company. Maybe one day your eyes will be opened.