PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new pay deal from Flybe
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2005, 11:43
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because, terrier21, we often have it happen to us several times a month. If you want compensation for a delay, fly with an airline that offers one. And as for the delay usually being because the crew is 5 mins out of hours... bollocks!

But perhaps you can enlighten me... just why does somebody, with no aspirations to fly commercially, hang around a professional pilots forum?

I know that disruption can make it very difficult to plan a life outside of work but this is the career path you've chosen.....if it doesn't work then surely you should select another.
No... we chose to become airline pilots. In some (well, many) airlines, you can plan your life. Even in Ryanair, you know when you will be home, and nightstops are virtually unheard of.

In flybe, disruption is standard procedure. It occurs constantly, is not mitigated by caring people in Crewing or Ops, and is now expected of everyone.

A while back, under the then Jet fleet manager, I was hauled down to EXT to "explain myself" after an individual in crewing complained that I had taken too long to drive myself to Newcastle, even though the reason I was late was that crewing had failed to book the rental car. The crewing guy complained to cover his arse, and the clown of a FM went along with it.

Nothing came of it, but the fact remains that the Crewing and Ops philosophies in the company are adversarial, and take no account of anyone's personal circumstances.

In all companies with a hint of modernity about them, it has long been realised that your staff are your greatest asset. The extension of this, is that whilst it may be legal to work crews to the letter of CAP371, and disrupt them at the whim of Crewing, it is not the smart way to treat your workforce. It may not be an issue for you young chaps with no families, but for the rest of us, it is extremely hard on our relationships, and the well-being of our families.

You can say what you like about Ryanair and O'Leary, but he is one smart cookie. He realised that crews would be perfectly willing to work hard, if they weren't constantly dicked around and weren't night-stopped (and if you paid them properly).

Personally, I would be quite happy to swap a pay rise for a guarantee of no night stops (except due to a tech aircraft that I was flying when it went tech). Failing that, a guarantee of a decent hotel, not stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Many of my colleagues who have left from the 146, all very experienced people, left because of the awful lifestyle produced by the continuing ineptness of Crewing. There are more horror stories out there than I believed possible.

Although I don't quite share the militant attitude of Fiona, I think the pay offer sucks big-time. I wouldn't vote for it - the company can do better, and damn well should after all the crap of the last few years.