PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Upset Training - For or Against.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2005, 02:12
john_tullamarine

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts
I am right with Centaurus et al in the sensible exploitation of the sim's training capability.

Sure, the sim is not an aeroplane and only goes so far in "simulating" flight. However, is it not reasonable to use it to develop generic skills, such as UA recovery, even if the real thing is going to be different to a greater or lesser extent ?

On another tack, I have seen many pilots experience a significant confidence boost after some time playing with sim UAs (normally with the motion off - the main goal is the I/F value). Barrel rolls are fun - could never get the 737 sims to do a loop - but the value is in repetitive exposure to odd UAs .. banked through the vertical nose high/low type exercises.

Just not doing it because the sim isn't the "real" thing is a poor rationale and akin to burying one's head in the sand. The situation doesn't happen in the real world all that often to big aeroplanes but, when and if it does, there's not all that much time to waste before the situation becomes irrecoverable.

I don't see as much value in using a light aerobatic trainer due to the very different control loadings and inertial response characteristics .. not to suggest that one shouldn't play aeros in trainers .. but in addition rather than instead of sim work.