PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - English built airliners were a total failure.
Old 21st Apr 2005, 19:12
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago I stood at the side of Bournemouths runway (near the Channel Express buildings) and watched a hush-kitted European 1-11 take off. Even with the hush-kits on it was painfully noisey!
Ah yes! the hushed 1-11!

I remember standing in the garden of the Airport Hotel (by the 24 hold) at Manchester years ago. Several aeroplanes came and went, landings and take offs both adjacent, there being only one runway 24 back then.

Then a hush-kitted 1-11 taxied out and lined up, the twin dustbins on the back of each Spey promising no crackling roar as we'd come to expect from the non-fitted 1-11s.

The power came on and it was quite loud as he started to roll. Then t/o power was applied and all hell broke loose. Trees bent double, the ground shook, tables blown across the garden, beer blasted out of our glasses.

OK, I exaggerate somewhat , but as it dispperaed over the hump, still blasting seven bells out of our eardrums, my mate shouted "bloody good job it was a hushed one!"

It lifted off and reappered in the distance as it climbed away to the west, the crackling roar rising and falling and still audible for several minutes after it had gone from sight.

We could not detect that it was one jot quieter than the unfitted Pocket Rocket. Seemed even louder, in fact.

SSD