PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilot Seats....Crimes against Humanity!
Old 19th Apr 2005, 23:36
SASless

Received 512 Likes on 214 Posts
Hey Nick...try this one for a seat test....

Nick,

In a follow up to my boast that my 13 year old diesel pickup seat being better than any helicopter seat I ever perched on....I decided to validate my statement.

I challenge you to duplicate it in the very best helicopter seat around....you can use a simulater if you wish...but there must be equal exposure to both vibration and endurance.

As a test...I loaded my baggage, Turkey hunting gear...and camp gear into my '92 Ford F-250 four wheel drive pickup....the one with Ton and a Half Springs....thus a rough riding potato wagon...and departed North Carolina on a Thursday morning, and rolled into Washington State on Saturday Afternoon in time for an afternoon hunt. 2800 miles in elapsed time....with a driving time of 44 hours in the seat....one well used by a previous 238,000 miles of driving.

I did not have a sore butt...I did not have a sore back...my legs never went to sleep...I did not have cramps of any kind...I never squirmed around....refuelling stops were every 5-6 hours and usually lasted only 10-15 minutes.

Want to set up a test in the S-92 Sim at West Palm Beach....I will volunteer to be the test subject with you as the monitor.