PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L1011 MCC Bournemouth
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2005, 16:35
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a few people have hit the knub of the matter without really understanding it! The point is that it's the quality of the instruction that's the most important factor. It is quite irrelevant what tool the FTO uses for the student to imitate airline-style procedures. It may make you feel more motivated to be in a genuine airliner simulator, but it is actually irrelevant to the content of the course.

As for learning handling skills that you can take on to your first airline job, I'm sorry, but you're deluding yourselves! Other than getting a loose idea of what is involved flying a big jet, you will learn relatively little about the specific type. That's what your type-rating course is for (whether you or an airline pays for it...). I repeat, don't get hung up on the device the school uses. An FNTP2 is quite adequate. There's a perfectly reasonable argument that says that a complex, unfamiliar flight deck is a distraction from the crew co-operation training you are supposed to be receiving.

That said, I have nothing against people doing MCC training in a 'proper' simulator other than the fact that you're paying a lot of money to use a tool that is way too sophisticated for the task at hand. It's your dosh! And remember, MCC was supposed to be part of the airline type-rating course...

Scroggs