PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie chopper pilot makes it to the top
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2005, 23:21
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also send Congratualtions!

Ascend, he stayed with helicopters up until about 1990 I think, as he was one of the instructor's on my Black Hawk course in 1989 - and a good one too. I think he was the last OC of 9 SQN RAAF and subsequently became the first OC of the newly formed A SQN 5 Aviation Regiment which was Army unit formed to take over the battlefield helicopter role. The only RAAFie to be an Army unit OC I think.

Angus Houston distinguished himself with the transfer of the battlefield helicopter capability from the RAAF to the Army. At the time when there were lots of RAAFies that were understandably bitterly dissapointed at losing the capability (and so would all of us be at Rotorheads if we were told we couldn't fly helicopters again!). Angus rose above that inter service rivalry and never let this creep into his efforts to transfer his considerable knowledge and experience, despite some less than gracious learning efforts displayed by the Army personnel. Indeed, if it had not been for the persistant efforts of Angus and a few notable others (Mick Stone, Graham Chalmers, Warren Duff, and several non Vietnam era guys) Army might have totally missed the operational utility, airmobile, and gunship methodology developed by the RAAF over more than 25 years and the Vietnam War.

This sense of the overall good of Australian Defence Forces, as opposed to the tribalism of one particular service will see him do a great job as CDF. Congratulations.