PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fiji-anyone been there?
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2005, 21:58
Rollingthunder

Eight Gun Fighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been quite awhile since I was there as you'll see when I mention a/c type. YVR-HNL-NAN with CPAir (now Air Canada) DC8-63.

Not much to do in Nandi but some good duty-free shopping. Bought a Nikon on impluse and shopkeeper accepted a Canadian cheque in Can $$$. It finally cleared 3 months later. Stayed at some hotel that was quite nice overnight. Then hotal bus to Lautoka. Boarded a good sized sail boat and sailed to Beachcomber Resort. It's a tiny island off the coast. You can walk around it in 15 miinutes. Stayed in a bure (grass thatched hut) with beds, sink, overhead fan and not much else. Showers and toilet outside. Shower water heated by the sun. Was about 25 feet from the water. All meals (good food) included in price and eaten communally, just pay extra for drinks. If you want champagne for brekkies, order it the night before. Fresh water is barged in from the mainland. You could rent snokelling gear and hobiecats. Has the clearest water I've ever seen. All the people I met were great folks.

A little more upscale was Treasure Island, about a quarter of a mile away. They had pavement and inside lavs.

Every few years a cyclone goes through and flattens it. They start all over again.

Probably best holiday I ever had.

http://www.beachcomberfiji.com/

no affiliation with beachcomber