PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2005, 14:30
GlobalFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely not,

No I don't work for any competing local carrier.

According to the media, the Board of Directors had recently indicated that VN is targeting June to commence commercial flights. Yesterday, BusinessDay Online, a reliable and trustworthy publication (in Nigerian standards) has brushed aside speculations of an '18 April' start-up date and confirmed 'mid or end of June' as start-up date.

Oyindo,

I am aware of Virgin Nigeria's status as flag carrier. However, I don't think it would be fair for VN to enjoy special treatment on domestic services. I believe the government should provide a fair playing ground for ALL of Nigeria's airlines plying local routes.

Internationally, I see the '7 year monopoly' granted to VN on lucrative routes as an exaggerated protection measure. VN is backed by Virgin Atlantic afterall, and VN should have nothing to fear in competing with smaller carriers on the Lagos-London or Lagos-Dubai routes for example. Perhaps, the government should have granted an 12-24-month exclusivity period as an investment incentive only.

It is puzzling how the FG would allow dual designation with the UK, if it is not willing to reciprocate for another 7 years! Furthermore, the government has signed an Open Skies agreement with the US which theoretically, is meant to allow any Nigerian or American airline in linking any two points in Nigeria and the US. It is a way to promote trade, tourism and facilitate travel between both countries. Yet, an established Nigerian carrier was denied route rights to Washington DC which was not reserved for VN. I don't think the Open Skies agreement is a "Flag Carrier Open Skies Agreement". Perhaps, the government should have nullified or amended some BASA's to reflect its understandings with Virgin Atlantic.

Finally, I agree with supporting VN to the fullest, but I also believe we should support the local carriers in seizing all opportunities for their sustenance and growth, as they will surely have a complementing role in the development of the domestic airline industry.

Last edited by GlobalFlyer; 18th Apr 2005 at 14:40.