PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chaos at DUB
Thread: Chaos at DUB
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2005, 11:59
WHBM

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts
Unfortunately the management who organised the security arrangements that failed the audit are the same ones who have now organised something that now inconveniences the passengers more, doubtless without giving any additional security at all.

It's a typical public service response whenever they are officially criticised - spit the dummy out and mess everybody about. It reminds me of the response of the London Fire Brigade to the official report into the Kings Cross Underground station fire - the report actually dared to criticise the firemen on a whole host of issues, as a result of which they became immensely "difficult" with anything to do with the Underground, and would shut whole stations down on the slightest pretext, pretending it was in the name of safety when it was anything but.

Dublin airport security has always been reasonably efficient technically (they found scissors in my bag that had escaped the UK airport on the outward sector), a bit disorganised, and notably rude. A microcosm of Dublin overall I suppose.

The main cause of any security queue is insufficient resources applied to the job, usually of staff. It is the job of the airport operator to ensure they are adequately staffed, and ultimately the responsibility of the commercial airline you have paid money to travel with, whose job is to organise all the elements of the journey (whether it is their fuel supplier, maintenance contractor or airport operator) for you. I always count the number of security stations in place and the number actually staffed while waiting in the queue. The ratio is rarely more than 60%.

I presume someone has called for the head of security at Dublin airport to be dismissed over two separate cockups (failing the audit, then being unable to do the job properly once caught).