PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chaos at DUB
Thread: Chaos at DUB
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2005, 09:38
bear11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's bad enough being incompetent, but insulting your intelligence too?

I listened to a guy from Dublin Airport on this subject on the radio this morning and had to scrape my jaw up off the floor afterwards. The PR spin is that:

1) there was no problem with security in the first place, as everything was up to scratch before the radical changes were made.

2) there's really no problem with queues other than a small spot of bother yesterday Sunday at peak hours, outside of that it's about 30 minutes and "sure I was walking through the terminal just now to do this interview and just happened to look at departures, and people were walking straight through then" - very scientific that, I feel much better now.

3) The usual "everything is being done" bo**ocks without specifying what was actually being done, how long the problem would last before they got a handle on it, and how much they were going to take out of his wages until it was sorted out.

4) the piece de resistance was the "you can help us" routine - fair enough, but then the man had the brass ones to suggest that people were not going straight from check-in through security, that they were going off for breakfast upstairs and wandering around instead of joining the 30 minute maximum security queue, and sure no wonder they'd be late for their flights then?

This guy suggested checking in 90 minutes before the flight was plenty of time (presumably unless of course, you wandered upstairs for breakfast). My parents are flying to the US midweek and rang the airport last night understandably slightly freaked about missing their flight - the girl they spoke to advised them to be there 3 hours in advance as the transatlantic flight check-in is open 3 hours beforehand.

One can get tired at times hearing Michael O'Leary ranting on about the airport, but I'd bet that anybody who's experienced what's been happening there in the last week would be more than willing to let him loose in the place with a chainsaw - which, presumably from what we're being told, he could have walked straight through security with 2 weeks ago.