PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Nigeria (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2005, 09:24
GlobalFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Nigeria Launch & Developments

Gentlemen,

I've started this VN thread to veer away some of the discussed subject matter from the other VN thread which should be limited to recruitment matters.

Contrary to recent media reports, VN has confirmed that first commercial flight will not take place during April or May as the new carrier is still in the process of training ground staff, completing licensing formalities, securing IATA/ICAO codes, etc.
VN is still expecting to start flying in June.

Surely not,

I think the revamp of Finger D at MMIA is a good development for the airline and travelers. However, I can't help but feel VN has an unfair competitive edge over other domestic airlines which have applied for years to use the better facilities at the international wing for their use, following the fire that gutted the old domestic terminal.

Also, Virgin Nigeria has been barred to operate into the US by the D.O.T, citing 'anti-competitive practices in the UK-US market by the Virgin Group'. In retaliation, FG hasn't granted final authorization for Continental Airlines to start its own services to Nigeria. This issue may take a while to resolve, perhaps a year or more. I believe that other carriers in Nigeria should be granted temporary or permanent route rights to the US while allowing CO into the market. I hope the government will have enough political will and economic wisdom to resolve this in this temporary fashion. This is what's best for the both the US and Nigeria, perhaps not Sir Richard Branson though