PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2005, 07:08
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hornetboy and reacher

I feel I have opened up a can of worms when it comes to pondering how to determine levels of human dexterity and co-ordination of brain function with muscular control as related to pilot aspirants.

Having had experience with a deficient RAAF assessment system 40 odd years ago I had hoped that reasonably effective methods would have long since been developed if not by the RAAF then by other air forces, all of which will be continuing to seek the optimum quality of their aircrews.

My own recruitment in 1948 was very superficial with emphasis on medical, academics and some elementary aptitude testing leaving pilot potential to be investigated during the first 10 hours of elementary flight training. That 10 hours produced a very rough assessment of those who may make an acceptable pilot with the remainder diverted to be trained as other aircrew. Subsequent wastage became increasingly significant and costly.

Incidently it took me several early flying hours to become somewat familiar with the control of an aircraft rudder as they all operate in the reverse human instictive sense. Blame this on the Wright Bros who didn't want to cross over their rudder control cables.

Recruiters of aircrew are apparently not yet equipped with a satisfactory means for assessment of the relative intrinsic manipulative skill of us humans with any high level of confidence; and this is after I have spent half a lifetime in trying to ensure that many of the aircraft you may handle can be flown safely by the least capable in the system.

Experience indicates that the more intense the resolve of a would be pilot becomes then it is a fair bet that that person is being driven by an innate recognition of his/her own capabilities in expertly and precisely co-ordinating multiple muscular activities.

Must go and discuss with the RAAF Recruiters.