PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF LHR Base (merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2005, 22:32
r3please

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the positive feedback Barrheadboy. If only our leaders (using the term very loosely) would realise that we do in fact work hard onboard the aircraft, and spend most of our time fixing problems caused by lack of investment. Of course we should be spending the time that takes to be out in the cabin giving more fantastic service. Unfortunately the management only care about their bonus. What was is Margaret Jackson (chairperson) said? Oh yes I remember, she said "We should spend less time looking after the customers and employees and more time looking after the shareholders"

Says it all really doesn't it?

Anway I am one of the scabs working at the LHR base. I didn't want to come and was very outspoken against the base. But at the end of the day if I stay at home in Oz my flying will be rubbish now London trips have gone. Plus I had some family issues which required me to be in the UK and I thought it would be a good opportunity to travel around Europe while I still have staff travel.
When I return home in two years I can only imagine the trips will be unbearable so can't see myself staying around very long.

So how is the base going?

I heard 71 crew are wanting to return to Oz already. I don't believe that figure, I think its more like 17 crew. We have been told we have to stay for the full 2yr contract otherwise we don't have a job to go home to. There is a rumour going around that this is not legal and we can go home if we want to at anytime. I need to get more information on this but heaps of people are saying its true.

Operations seem very nice, much better than Sydney ops who only refer to you by number. Here they know your name and speak to you like an adult.

Management seem OK although wouldn't trust anyone at management level within QF.

Only on 2nd roster but been happy so far. Averaging around 160hr over two months, thats less than my Oz roster. Lots of days off and not been used on my A days yet. Of course rosters will get busier when Hong Kong trips start next bid period.

Flying has been very hard. This is because many time I have been the only crew member in economy with any experience. Its disgraceful that QF saved more money by not training new crew properly.

The other day we took off out of London and I walked into the galley, after handing out headsets etc.. to find all the new crew looking at their procedures manual on how to set up a bar cart!!! Nightmare! Services have been taking hours longer because people aren't up to speed.

QF should have had them flying with mentors for the first few months. Right now I feel like I'm an unpaid trainer and its pissing me off big time.

Dixon was up here a few weeks ago. All crew were invited to go and meet him but as I wish he were dead, I couldn't force myself to go. He told a group of crew that the base would be closed if it didn't save enough money. There he goes again being all positive.

It amazes me that they have got so many crew offside by the opening of the base all for a saving of $18m per year. Then they spend millions sending us on stupid 'Breathrough' and 'Straight talk' corses that are supposed to make us feel all warm and gooey about the company.

Good on jetlagger for being so passionate about the retension of out terms and conditions. We are supposed to be an Australian icon, takes the piss when Qantas are hiring English crew who have never even VISITED Australia.

If only more crew were like him/her they would have never got this base open in the first place.