PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is a normal landing a controlled stall?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2005, 20:19
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses, I have been reading today and have been waiting for someone to mention "ground effect" - still a phenomenon in my mind, yet I think must have something to do with the landing, and how it is different from a full on stall.

When I practice a stall, I cut the power, hold the nose level, hold it, hold it, hold it, and this usually entails maximum pullback on the controls, just to keep the aircraft level (from which it eventually sinks and pitches forward). What I am trying to say is that, so far, I haven't been able to compare this stalling practice to a good landing, if you know what I mean, i.e I don't have to use full back pressure to stop the aircraft smacking the tarmac, just a significant amount to hold it gently as the aircraft slowly sinks. Having said that, occasionally I do hear the stall warner, especially flying dual due to the added weight.

I am starting to think that, after all, stalling is not an exact science, and can vary in lots of different ways, in different conditions, as already pointed out.

Thanks again (and for the vid BRL),

Maz