PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is a normal landing a controlled stall?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2005, 16:50
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is that, ideally, you should stall on landing. Especially so when 3-pointing a tail-dragger, but ideally a landing in a tricycle should be no different. (We'll disregard wheel-landings in tail-draggers for now, because they are completely different.)

I base this on the fact that, at the point of landing, I am unable to get sufficient lift from the wings to continue straight and level flight. Even if I move the elevator further back (and yes, in most aircraft I can still move the elevator further back) the amount of lift I get does not increase, and the aircraft settles onto the runway.

However, we all know that when we stall an aircraft, the nose will drop, sometimes sharply, and a wing may drop too. This doesn't usually happen when you land, fortunately. I've never had anyone give me an explaination for this which I like. The best explaination I have is that it's something to do with ground effect - ground effect changes the characteristics of the stall. Whether this is true or not, or how it works, I don't know, unless anyone else can explain it?

FFF
-----------