PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757-200 performance
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2005, 16:25
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
birdies

Sir Loin, nah! not a work to roole guv! I've been involved in looking at them for a couple of months now, and the quoted para below is a reasonably accurate fag packet calc!, but they are closer to 6 as a rule if I were to be pushed on it!

After the bird strike, the boroscope would take probably 6-8 hours to do, engine cool, panels off, rummage around, diagnose and panels back on, then normally a ground run to establish all ok'. Pls bear in mind that this is not with someone pointing a gun at you!. (Thinks..... Suggestion Box....How to reduce Boroscope times!)

In my findings, yes lots of times we have 'no damage', but we have to check thouroughly, not implying here that you blunties don't! I do know of an incident where a small number of blades had to be replaced rather than the fan, but you are generally correct, its normally workable (blending), or knackered!

'I myself have seen some VERY gash blending ' tut tut, course, if you took your time, say 6-8 hours......

'birdstrike occuring during taxying' very rare indeed, however found 3 cases in my 'exercise', This may be, (sweeping statement to follow), due to the Mil engines being noisier than civil types, thus scaring birds away as they approach. There are however a significant number whilst the aircraft is 'on the ground' i.e. touch down/roll-out and standing the throttles up/rotate. I'm sure knowing this stuff is indicative of needing to spend more time in the pub.....