PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 757-200 performance
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2005, 14:37
Sir Loin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After the bird strike, the boroscope would take probably 6-8 hours to do
Is that work to rule jumpseater!!!

The borescopes will more likely take 2-3 hours to get wrapped up, however, it is quite rare, especially in high bypass ratio engines, for birds etc to be ingested into the core engine and damage the HP comp or turbines. That is not to say it doesn't happen, rather it doesn't happen very often. More often than not, the birds end up fairly harmlessly (for the engine!!) going down the bypass, causing only fan damage.

Usually most of the blade damage can be blended out with files and micromesh, dependant on the area of the blade damaged, but it would be unlikely that only 3 blades for example would be damaged beyond limits. Damage usually occurs to most of the fan, and certainly, if blade replacements are required the whole of the fan would usually be replaced. However, given the circumstances that this crew find themselves in, I feel that a bit of blending would be sufficient to allow themselves to get the hell out of Dodge!!!

I myself have seen some VERY gash blending to a Tornado engine which would usually have to be replaced, to allow the A/C to get home and change it there.

I may be wrong also, feel free to correct me, but I have never heard of a birdstrike occuring during taxying. Birdstrikes in my experience have usually occurred in the climb-out or during the circuit phase.

Hope this is of some help.