PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stabilised Approach Speed Tolerance
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2005, 12:00
Hudson

Nigel OD. I am not quite sure what you mean by saying that I have missed the point. There is no point at all in having any stabilised approach criteria if you are going to ignore it to suit yourself. This is how accidents occur.

If the aircraft is not stabilised by 500 ft VMC or 1000 ft IMC within the parameters recommended by, in this case, the B737 FCTM, then good airmanship was suggest that you should go-around and try to do better next time. You can also leave it late and go-around at the flare if you like although you might have some explaining to do to your PR people.

Fine if your company wishes to publish a lower stabilisation height such as 200 ft - but I would prefer to stick to the manufacturer's recommendation for both safety and legal reasons.

As I mentioned in the opening post, I am aware that wind and gust additives may require a maximum of 20 knots to be added to VREF. But that was not my point. My point is that accepting +20 knots above VREF as a matter of normal no wind landing procedure is excessive especially if the runway length is marginal and it happens to be wet, or at night when distance remaining is sometimes difficult to judge accurately