PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beech 1900 CPL or ATP A/c?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2005, 11:20
Q4NVS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop Illegal (or not?)

As per the above post which outlines all the conditions required for a CPL to fly this aircraft then, I am of the opinion that all operators do not comply.

Please show me a B1900 Operator that limits the aircraft to 9 pax as the "stipulated conditions". Haha, I don't think so and am willing to bet my "Unemployed ATP Salary" on it. Thus, in my opinion these guys must be bending the law in order to fly Illegally.

My question is why would they do this? Why not get an ATP to fly the thing as should be the case - maybe because once again an ATP can not be abused or manipulated as much as a CPL? I dunno, but know that there are as many unemployed ATP's around!

When I once asked the crew of a B1900 operating in this fashion, how they were getting away with this, the rersponse was typicall:

Because an ATP can fly the aircraft alone, we can fly it with 2 x CPL's.

I.e 2 x CPL's = 1 x ATP?

If this is so, then why not send 4 x Student Pilots to do a charter in a Baron? Hey, they could even pay for it because they are getting experience and/or training...

Also, we could start using SE CPL's to fly King Air's etc.
Give each guy 1 Engine to manage then - any takers?

Thought not!

So why is this allowed, or do us "others" just not understand the logic.

Anyway, hopefully when these guys eventually go for their Big Metal Interviews, maybe someone who is a bit more "informed" will start asking the RIGHT questions..