PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - time to 1st solo rotary
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2005, 23:20
ConwayB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the Australian Army...

Hi there,
For what it's worth...

In the Aussie Army, during my training back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, we trained on AS350Bs (Squirrels/A-Stars). At that stage of training, we had already done a 70+hr FW course to PPL standard (but I already had my civvie FW licence and 5 hrs on a Bell 47). So with 150 FW hours under my belt... and flying the Squirrel twice a day for two weeks, I went solo in 21.5 hours.

Most of my course mates went solo between 20 to 23 hours. The course was structured that way and you had to show your competence to your instructor and another instructor as well as pass all your ground school exams pertinent to RW flying and the Squirrel technical aspects.

Don't get too hung up on when you go solo. There'll be many more pressing issues to worry about later on in life such as making sure you bring yourself, your passengers and your aircraft safely back to earth whilst battling poor weather, poor maintenance, poor management and a host of other issues a responsible pilot must consider. Having said that, enjoy the flying... and as we all say:

"Can't Hover? Don't bother!"

Safe flying
CB