PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2005, 03:45
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hornet Boy and other RAAF Aspirants

Most interested in you young ones progressing into the RAAF. I joined the RAAF as a trainee pilot as you want to be and then phased out into retirement after a long career which gave me the opportunity for a far wider flying experience than most. Too early for any opportunity for space but this was well compensated for by being actively engaged in the development and testing of high performance aircraft and RAAF aircraft acquisitions.

Part of a fascinating and satisfying career was as a flying instructor and then Central Flying School for the training of flying instructors and the maintenance of flying standards.

Having been on the receiving end of would be RAAF and RAN pilots and having been most dis-satisfied with some of those selected for training by the recruiters I am convinced that the selection process could have done considerably better at the source to reduce the wastage during training and the aggro for those who are found to be inadequate.

Other things being acceptable a would be RAAF pilot must have an acceptable level of manipulative co-ordination. I didn't realise I had my fair share of that attribute until my late teens when I took to doing some motor cycle racing. Fortunately for me I was an engineering under-graduate at the time of enlistment and I was 'snapped up'.

My recruiters had their sights on academics, attitudes and suitable physicals with little or zero attention to co-ordination. Consequently we ended up with a fellow on course who couldn't swing his arms in concert with his legs when walking. He didn't last long when flying training commenced.

More often than not, those having an inherent high level of manipulative co-ordination gravitate to involvement with machinery requiring manipulative skills. An aircraft would appear to have the ultimate requirement.

So, Hornet Boy and others, how do you rate your own relative co-ordination and how did the current recruiters determine your specifics in this area.? Do they know how to do it yet? Be critical of their system - they may be listening and improve their methods..

Meanwhile stay well clear of drugs, body piercing, tatts, smoking and the dole if you want to be the one to be considered most favourably. Nurture your communicative skills and become computer literate.