PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Experience for Airlines???
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2005, 00:00
Capn Bloggs

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts
If you want to fly a desk for the rest of your life, stay where you are!

I have seen good civilian knuckleheads, bad civilian knuckleheads, good trash-haulers and bad trash-haulers. I have seen an equal number of bad two-crew civiies: let's face it, most civies are single pilots until they get the job you're trying to get, so they don't have any advantage over you. In fact, depending on their proffesionalism/slackness, you will be streets ahead of them!

It's all about attitude, not whether you have got multi-crew experience. You will be able to fly (I use that term loosely these days: more like button-pushing) AT LEAST as well as any civvie, so don't let that stop you.

Most companies employ someone to be a captain (after suitable time in RHS) ie one that will do the job properly from a rule-complying POV, but most importantly, has the brains and skill to not get behind the eight-ball and prang the aeroplane/allow it to be pranged by FO when the pressure comes on.

So, the message is, go for it. There's probably a course or two around about airline familiarisation/interview technique etc that will help you understand what's invovled so you can impress them at the interview.