PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - time to 1st solo rotary
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2005, 14:35
eman_resu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my question is: for newly qualified PPL pilots, is it wise to self-limit themselves to solo flight or flight with instructors or other rated pilots until they have a certain number of hours over & above their license grant time? If so, how many hours?
Good one, I personally took passengers up fairly soon after qualification, however I always had to have a 20-30min checkride before hand (dependant on how long it had been since the last flight), and pretty much always flew local routes which I'd done many times before under training.

It made me confident enough to do the flight, and wary enough to consider the problems...

Each to his own as usual, although I don't think I ever had the race to first solo with any other students, as we were all learning at different paces and different time differentials (eg, some were full time, I could make 2 out of 3 weekends)

Either way, happy flying to all and there's no need to rush, I knew of an older student that eventually went solo after loads of hours, I think he enjoyed the company of the instructor too much

I do less now than I ever did, and damn well miss it!