PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Determining Aircraft Performance
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2005, 22:24
RSC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Determining Aircraft Performance

I've been following this forum for a while, and decided it was time to finally ask a question.

My basic understanding of aircraft testing is that much of the performance data found in the AFM is determined by means of flight test, such as stall speeds for example. Specifically, I'm talking about a light aircraft, such as that used in General Aviation. I was wondering if it is possible to get this performance data by means of a test in a wind tunnel using a scale model.

The reason I ask is that I am a currently a BSc Student in Mechanical Engineering, looking for an undergraduate thesis idea. I am also a pilot, more specifically a Flight Instructor in Canada with around 1000hrs or so, so I at least understand the basic concepts of performance figures... My career ambition is to get into flight testing, so I've been looking for thesis ideas that might teach me a thing or two in that area. Alternatively, if anyoone has any other ideas that makes for a good thesis, I'm completely open to it. I'm probably the least creative person I know.

Thanks in advance for the help.