PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilot Seats....Crimes against Humanity!
Old 14th Apr 2005, 17:29
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must be lonely in that trench over there Nick....cause I stand shoulder to shoulder with the SASless rebels over here.

I think the biggest issue is similar to Nissan cars and pilot helmets. Nissan's are a great driving car with solid engines and all round performance but try fixing one. What an abortion. They are a classic example of engineers designing something without chatting to the mechanics who are going to have to disassemble and repair it.
As with flight helmets. Name one that actually does all that a pilot needs. I am not talking anything beyond the bare basics: Protection, noise attentuation, lightness and flexibility for various op's. Gallets are noisy but small, Alpha fit and attenuate fantastically but try longlining with that massive visor cover and Gentex is just antiquated in all the above requirements. Nobody has sat down with the pilots and asked "what do you guys do with these?"

Speaking of sitting down...
I think I must be pretty much in the perfect demographic for pilot size and weight. 5'10, 180lbs wet and I run and workout constantly. I try to take care of my back with exercise and chiro. But it feels like a losing battle. I am working constantly just to offset the hunching that invariably happens while flying. Include the helmet weight to the top end and I have noticed my neck makes popping noises when I roll it from side to side. That's not good is it?

Regarding Helicopters:

Robinsons: all the same. Not bad but you tend to hunch forward.

Bell 206 is an abortion. End of story. We were just complaining about this in the crewhouse last night. Everyone agrees and the 204 and 205 with the fabric contraptions?? ...sheesh.

AS350: Bucket seating to form you into the shape of a banana. Feel the pain...

S76: not as bad as the above because you can adjust the seat height. Needs more lumbar support.

I have started flying around with a roll of foam in the small of my back. I don't know if this is a good thing because I am still sore. Maybe having to be bent back into proper shape involves more pain...

Sign me up for the law suit. Rant over and out.