PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ZFW...why
Thread: ZFW...why
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2005, 14:23
Captain101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lobotumi-

A slice of your finest humble pie please!

I'll put my hands up to this one - I was wrong

You cannot damage an aircraft on the ramp by exceeding ZFW -
-Unless you load a low wing aircraft with a very wide main gear span to apx 3 times its Max ramp weight with zero wing fuel providing the fuselage or gear does not break first!!!

I would like to thus submit myself as living evidence of poor dispatch training in the UK along with the fact that my statement went 10 post without being corrected! The MZFW damage on the ground theory was taught to me by a dispatch trainier - I thought is was a little odd that this mode of failure was not mentioned in any of my previous training, but thought nothing of it.

From what i now understand:-
The moment created by the Fuselage weight about the main gear is reduced by the weight of fuel in the wing tank, so on the ramp with zero fuel there IS stress on the wing root - however - the wing root is capable of withstanding stress eqivallent to the aircraft undergoing it's maximum load factor (2.6g+) at MZFW with zero wing fuel. Thats quite extreme and certainly won't happen on the ground!!!

I thus retract the third paragraph of my earlier post with appologies if I mislead anyone.