PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2005, 20:47
Chequeredflag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V1R,

I was there this morning, using runway 10 for some shortfield landing practice (we were kicked out the circuits at EMA due to a Monarch A321 training new first officers). We did not stop so cannot comment on the facilities, but rather like my recent visit to Nottingham, the runway looks a lot smaller on approach than I'm used to.(though in reality there's lots of metres available for GA).

I did find the runway pretty rough in parts, and the different standard of ATC is very noticable (they acknowledged very few of our transmissions), but it was good to go there, and get used to smaller fields. By the way I am not allowed to use the PAPI's at EMA for approach - it took a while to ignore them, and in the very early stages, my instructor asked ATC to turn them off for one approach. I was quite surprised that they were happy to cooperate, and I was also pleasantly surprised to find such a good relationship between the School and the ATC - the guys/gals in the tower are very helpful (and at times, patient!!)

DiscoC,

Well done, and thanks for a great read - such write ups are a great help to the likes of myself, who have such fun to come!!!

Safe flying all,

Mike N