PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilot Seats....Crimes against Humanity!
Old 13th Apr 2005, 10:35
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For once, Nick I disagree with you. The number of posts here seems to indicate a consensus that there is not a single really decent helicopter seat. Whilst I accept that it is difficult to design a seat that all will find comfortable, almost every helicopter seat I've come across is a total disgrace and seems to have had no thought whatsoever put into its design. Most project test pilots do not sit on seats regularly for 5 or 6 hours at a time. I've not flown a single helicopter that has a seat that is comfortable for more than an hour or two. Most of the expensive helicopters out in the commercial world are flown in support of offshore oil operations and many of them these days are being flown by pilots who have to endure their seats for 5 or more hours a day.

A $100,000 Mercedes has seats that are beautifully designed and are almost infinitely adjustable, whilst most $1,000,000 plus helicopters have seats that the driver of a $1,000 Trabant would complain about.