PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weekend away- Where to??
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2005, 09:27
Ozgrade3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As allways remember the rule of the 6 P's

Pror Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

I'll add points as i think of them.

Where ever you go, do your homework.

Make sure your charts are up to date. Have coverage incase u need to make diversions or jus want to go somewhere else.

If you're hiring your aircraft from a school, make sure you take the fuel carnet card. Beware a Mobil fuel card wont be Accepted by a BP truck and vica versa. Allways have some cash in reserve, as some places only take cash.

If you can stretch an extra hour in each direction, the Gold Coast is the pace to go. Accomodation is plentiful and you can find some good deals.

Yóu've done the work to get to where you are, having passed your flight test etc, so back yourself a little. Trust your judgment. Be confident in your abilities without being over confident.

Anyone who has done trips away with friends will tell you it can be the most challenging thing you can do. The pressure placed apon you, bot by yourself...wanting to please your mates, and them wanting to get there(after all, accomidation is paid for, the bar and the chicks are waiting for you to get there etc etc). Dont let yourself be pressured into making a bad decision. You will understand that pressure if you need to divert or even cancell the trip due Wx etc.

Point out clearly to your friends, and I'm assuming they are not aviation people, that when it comes to the flight, you are the pilot in command and while you will do your best to get them there, and back, your decision is final and there are to be no arguments.

Dont forget to look after your passengers, make a trip kit like the charter guys do> a small esky will do, put in some sandwhiches, biscuits, nibblies etc. Dont forget some water and something to keep them occupied. nespapers, magazines etc.

Dont make sectors too long, a 4 hr direct flight might be ok for you, but for people that who may not have been in a small plane before will find it extreamly taxing. Plan for a lunch stop or two along the way.

Work hard to make the flight as smooth and noneventful as u can, try to find the smoothest level to cruise at, plan your decent carfeully, no more than 500 ft per min on descent and make sure you have some minties for you pax to chew on during the descent. Monitor your passengers for ear problems on the descent.

Its hard work, but in the end its very satisfying. Great learning ground for when you go on to charters at a later stage.

Feel free to PM me if you want any advice.

Last edited by Ozgrade3; 13th Apr 2005 at 10:30.