PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ's Helen Clark in mid-air scare
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2005, 07:19
Jules Meister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ's Helen Clark in mid-air scare

From CNN

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- The door to a plane carrying New Zealand's prime minister has blown open mid-flight, forcing the pilot into a sharp descent and emergency landing that left the leader badly bruised, but otherwise unharmed.

The door became dislodged on Wednesday when the aircraft hit turbulence, Prime Minister Helen Clark said after the flight. Two security officers grabbed the open door and held it in place while the pilot guided the plane down to a nearby airport.

Asked what was going through her mind, Clark said it was the question: "Are you going to live or die."

Clark, 55, said she knew her life was in danger as air rushed into the cabin of the twin-engine Piper Aztec, which was en route to the capital, Wellington, from the tourism town of Rotorua in central North Island.

"When the plane plunges like that obviously it is quite shocking. And then when you see the door can't close you know that it is a serious incident. But I had full confidence in the way the pilot handled the matter."

Clark was jolted as the plane dived sharply.

"All of sudden there seemed to be a lot of noise in the plane ... and my arm crashed down on ... the windowsill -- and that was very painful," Clark said.

"Then I noticed ... two policemen struggling to hold on to the door. So that was quite dramatic," she told reporters.

"I think everyone was a little bit shaken, but the (two police) performed superbly."

An X-ray of Clark's arm showed no fracture, her spokesman, Mike Munro, told The Associated press, but "it's badly bruised."

Press secretary Kathryn Street, the only other passenger, said the door flew open "with a great bang and there were papers flying everywhere."

She said Clark was seated at the rear of six-seater's cabin, well away from the door.

Clark had used the charter flight so she could return to Wellington early Wednesday, ahead of commercial flights.

Keith Mackenzie, managing director of airplane charter company Mountain Air, said it was investigating the accident, as were officials at the country's Transport Accident Investigation Commission.

Clark became prime minister in December 1999 and faces a general election before the end of September.

Her ruling Labour Party holds a 13 percentage-point lead in the polls