PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter a joke, claims navy sailor
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2005, 01:06
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the amount of these threads in the past, I always expect the "speculation" discussioin to rear it's head...again and again....and this thread will do nought to stop it in the future.

Personally, I believe there should always be two threads for these sort of incidents, and the moderators could help be ensure that they are named clearly. One for the expressions of sorrow and support because many of us wish to add condolences and express kinship and sorrow to those left behind. The other is for specualtion, and there are two reasons for that:

1. Someone will always want to speculate. It is a given, so lets remove those comments from any thread that expresses condolences so that the families and those emotionally close to the incident do not have to look at them if they do not want to upset themselves.

2. Objective Speculation can be healthy and can bring about a whole raft of issues to explore and learn from, not just those dry issues that turn up in the final report, which are sometimes controversial and innaccurate anyway. Also, I think we tend to foget about the incident well beforte the final report, and thus rarely discuss and learn from the official outcome anyway. Think the Black Hawk engine failure in the mountains, the 412 Vs the photographer, the B105 Vs the bridge, or the A109 and the engine overspeed during live long line rescue training.

So heliport and pedal stop: how about naming this thread "Speculation discussion", and dividing the future threads up so we can avoid this endless should we or shouldnt we after each incident?