PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilot Seats....Crimes against Humanity!
Old 12th Apr 2005, 18:50
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Helicopter Pilot Seats....Crimes against Humanity!

I have been driving these things since 1967....and with the very rare exception have found seats in helicopters to be a damn disgrace if not downright evil in the damage they do to backs and necks.

For Nick and the others that are knowledgeable of such matters....why is it the builders of these things spend millions on design studies, hire high cost engineers, and devote thousands of man hours to designing the most insignificant bit.....but still after all these years cannot build a decent pilot seat?

Bell sure doesn't have a clue....Boeing-Vertol came as close as anyone with the Chinook seat and it was still bad...Sikorsky well...leave said they need to improve. I have never sat in a Puma/Super/MKII/Tiger....so I can not speak to them...the 155 and 365 seats looked a bit uncomfy....the 350 and 355 left a great deal to be desired....

Why as an industry do we accept such shoddy design and the resulting back injuries and bad necks they cause?

Anyone else feel the way I do about Jet Ranger seats? I think the CEO of Bell Helicopters should be sued and forced to trade his fancy swivel leather luxury for an off the self Jet Ranger seat until the engineers come up with something better.

What say you?